What Is Prosecco—and How Is It Made?

Events require a lot of shimmer– so it’s not a surprise that sparkling wines like Prosecco tend to be popular for the holidays, graduations, wedding events, and anything else that stimulates delight. Gleaming white wines go by many names– Champagne, Prosecco, and Cava are the most common, but you’ll also see sparklers called Crémant, Sekt, Lambrusco, Franciacorta, and more.
So what sets Prosecco apart from all these other champagnes? And how should you pick the best sparkler the next time you raise a glass? Here’s everything you require to know about Prosecco

What Is Prosecco?
Prosecco is a sparkling wine that’s produced in a special area of Italy, not too far from Venice. Much like champagnes need to be produced in the Champagne region, following the traditional Champagne method to be able to call themselves Champagne, all Prosecco red wines have to be produced using wines from the Veneto and Friuli-Venezia Giulia parts of Italy. They also use a specific kind of grape, Glera, which need to make up at least 85 percent of the red wine, with Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio grapes included for the remaining 15 percent.
what-is-prosecco-GettyImages-1131847713
Just like Champagnes, Prosecco red wines can be dry or sweet, though even the driest variations of Prosecco tend to be a bit sweeter than their French equivalents.
How Is Prosecco Made?
For Prosecco and other champagnes, the procedure begins similar to any other wine– grapes are fermented to produce red wine. To produce the signature bubbles, the red wine is taken through a second, high-pressure fermentation procedure that requires carbon dioxide bubbles into the wine and produces that effervescent fizz.
But each kind of champagne uses a different procedure to produce the bubbles. For champagnes (like Champagne) that utilize the standard method, the second fermentation procedure happens in the bottle. For Prosecco, which uses the Charmat method, the secondary fermentation is carried out in a tank, then bottled when it’s prepared.

The Charmat technique produces a clean, yet fruitier champagne than the traditional approach, and is less labor-intensive to follow. That’s a huge reason Proseccos are more inexpensive than Champagnes and other sparkling wines that follow the traditional method.

How to Drink Prosecco
Prosecco ought to be delighted in cooled, like other champagnes, and makes a great addition to some enjoyable and joyful champagne cocktails. Your regular refrigerator temperature level need to get your Prosecco perfectly cooled to a temp in the low 40-degree range– or go ahead and put it in an ice container filled halfway with ice and water.
And while flutes have remained in vogue for sparkling wines, utilizing a routine gewurztraminer glass will in fact let you enjoy more flavor and fragrance from your Prosecco. Meanwhile, keep those Roaring 1920s-style coupes for serving regular cocktails, and don’t trouble serving your sparkling wine from that. The broad mouth lets the Prosecco go flat faster.
How to Store Prosecco.
Prosecco isn’t the kind of red wine that’s meant to hang out in your red wine cellar. And you’ll definitely desire to store your bottle on its side, to allow the wine to touch the cork.

If you didn’t quite finish your bottle of sparkling wine, there are methods to prevent it from going flat while you save it in the fridge. (Just do not plan to keep it in there long– you may want to use up that leftover Prosecco for next-day Bellinis or mimosas for breakfast, or keep it for a max of three days.).

When we checked a few various methods of saving sparkling wines, we found a number of methods that worked, consisting of putting a cooled spoon in the top of the bottle, utilizing specially created hermetic corks implied for sparkling wine, or even just covering the top with an old red wine cork or cling wrap and rubber bands.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *